From the darkness and uncertainty of Jehovah's Witnesses to the glory of the Kingdom of Heaven

No longer dead, but made alive by God Himself to be an heir with Jesus Christ by faith and grace alone.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Jesus as the I AM

Exodus 3:13 Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" 14 God said to Moses, "I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' " 15 God also said to Moses, "Say to the Israelites, 'The LORD, the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.' This is my name forever, the name by which I am to be remembered from generation to generation.

John 8:58 "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

John 5:16 So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jews persecuted him. 17 Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working." 18 For this reason the Jews tried all the harder to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

Please note in John 5:16, it is John's own understanding what it takes to make the claim oneself equal with God.

From the Watchtower January 15, 2008 "Members Only" Edition
Paragraph 14 A fundamental benefit that students derive from studying the Bible and applying its principles is that they come to know and appreciate Jehovah as a person. (Isa. 42:8) Not only is he a loving Father and the Creator and Owner of the universe but he also reveals his personality and abilities to those who love and serve him. (Read Exodus 34:6, 7.) When Moses was about to lead the nation of Israel out of Egyptian captivity, Jehovah identified himself using the expression: "I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be." (Ex. 3:13-15) This implied that Jehovah would become whatever was necessary for him to become in order to carry out his purposes in regard to his chosen people. The Israelites thus came to know Jehovah in the roles of Savior, Warrior, Provider, and Fulfiller of promises and in other capacities.-Ex. 15:2, 3; 16:2-5; Josh. 23:14.
Jesus as Savior!
John 4:42 They said to the woman, "We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world."
Jesus as Warrior!
Revelation 19:11 I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. 12 His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. 13 He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. 14 The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. 16 On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS.
Jesus as Provider!
John 6:35 Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.
Jesus as Fulfiller of Promises!
John 14:13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
What a God we have.

Paragraph 15 Our students may not experience intervention by Jehovah in their lives as dramatically as Moses did. Nevertheless, as our students grow in faith and in appreciation for what they learn and as they begin to apply it, they will doubtless see the need to lean on Jehovah for courage, wisdom, and guidance. As they do so, they too will come to know Jehovah in the roles of a wise and trusted Counselor, Protector, and generous Provider of all their needs.-Ps. 55:22; 63:7; Prov. 3:5, 6.

Their students? No wonder, for they are not the Lord's.

Jesus as Counselor!
Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Jesus as Protector!
John 10:28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.
Amen, Lord.

4 comments:

Wayne said...

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your posts. Thanks for sharing the material from the Watchtower's literature and your responses from the Bible.

Sacchiel said...

Thank you Wayne!

Mike said...

I agree, Sacchiel and Wayne. You have provided many insights into the WS and their teachings. Keep it up, bro!

Sacchiel said...

Thank you my bro!