From the darkness and uncertainty of Jehovah's Witnesses to the glory of the Kingdom of Heaven

No longer dead, but made alive by God Himself to be an heir with Jesus Christ by faith and grace alone.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"So what?"

At a special day assembly, during the interview segment, a middle-aged JW relates his experience when the circuit overseer visited his congregation.

"When the circuit overseer had inquired why I hadn't gone out to service since my work accident I could only tell him that I felt too depressed. The injuries I suffered had left both my hands immobile and I couldn't do much."

"So what?" he replied, "you still have both your legs and you have your mouth."

"A weekend later I was back going door to door."

The assembly hall erupted into applause and even as he was taking his seat that brother attempted to join in with his floppy hands.

I have to admit that is zeal, but I pain for that man. He's out there preaching a false gospel.

Galatians 1:6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.

8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9 As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

4 comments:

Jo Cool said...

So I'm curious what his motivation was for going back out?

Sacchiel said...

Jo cool, perhaps it was the words of encouragement!

Anonymous said...

This is saddening.

That poor guy has simply responded like a Pavlovian Dog to the cultural conditioning that has been established, imposed, and reinforced by the leaders of the Watchtower to meet their own propagandistic ends.

They can only be pitied.

Jo Cool said...

Propmin,
Not just saddening, but heartbreaking. To quote John Bradford, "There but for the grace of God, go [I]." We are all conditioned by this culture of sin into which we are born. Our tendency is to fashion a god in our own image and like the original sinner, Lucifer, presume to usurp Jehovah. Praise be to God for His mercy and grace towards us! That is why we are compelled to reach out to those in bondage to the Watchtower organization. Not out of pity, but as one experiencing the transforming power of the Holy Spirit and desiring to be like our Father who has adopted us, not as slaves, but as sons and joint-heirs with Christ.